Sunday, November 26

Ohhhh THAT Point Five

So I'm searching for a pattern for my yarn from Sheep and Wool, right? I was new to this knitting thing and had noooo idea what to do with this funky chunky yarn, what needles to use, etc . . . The kindhearted seller told me it was "like (and I quote) colinette .5". Now then. My background is in medicine, and I was trained to NEVER write a decimal without a zero before it. That can be misread, the decimal overlooked - resulting in an overdose. So I wrote on the tag "like colinette 0.5". Thus began my internet journey in search of a pattern for this stuff. It seems there are *many* fibers called colinette. As searches often do, I found many very interesting and some rather exotic things including this tank cosy and tree sweater. Just how I got to those sites is a puzzle to me.

And then, in the UK. A brand name. Colinette Point Five.

Yupper, that's the stuff. I'll be able to use any pattern and feel secure that my item will measure up. This is
not to be confused with Colinette One Zero mind you. I imagine that is slightly smaller. No, no, no. Point Five is the stuff for me.

Colinette Point Five

100% pure wool
tension 10 cm: 7.5 sts x 9 rows
Comes in 100g hanks
50 metres per hank
needles_12mm

Colinette One Zero
100% pure wool
tension 10 cm: 16 sts to 25 rows
Comes in 100g hanks
100 metres per hank
needles_5_5mm

Notice the swatch measurements come in centimeters, verrrrry sneaky. But, again with the decimal points! One Zero uses _5_5mm ?? Whaddup with that? I don't have any _5_5 needles. Nobody makes _5_5 needles. Oh, I can get 5 POINT 5 needles by the gross, but not the elusive _5_5s. Google, here I come again.

No comments: