Friday, May 25

Stitches East

I got my letter confirming my first choice for all four of my classes for Stitches East in October.

Thursday Techniques and Tips

Class Title: Round Up
Teacher:
Beth Whiteside
Description: There’s more than two ways to knit a round and a round! Cover the old standbys, circular and double-points, plus try out two circulars and the Magic Loop. Get warmed up on a neckwarmer, then test drive the techniques on the small diameter of a fingerless glove.

I need some help with purling when I change needles on DPNs and want to learn Magic Loop and two circulars too. I'm also starting my first socks soon and I've heard the horrors of ladders and such. This class was right up my alley. As a bonus I can use the two projects as gifts like I did last year.

Friday Color and Creativity

Class Title: Free-form Potpourri
Teacher: Colleen Davis
Description: This freeform technique is one among many that will open up a whole new world of fun knitting, let you break a few rules, use partial skeins of yarn and stretch your creativity Knitting will go in different directions and an assortment of shapes will be made by picking up stitches from previous shapes.

This stuff fascinates me, and I’d like to try it even if I never use it. Besides, I hate left over partial balls and can take all of mine with me.

Saturday Projects and More Projects

Class Title: Off the Cuff Beaded Wrist Warmers
Teacher: Susanna Hansson
Description:
Accessory or jewelry? Hard to say. Either way, these sweet pulse warmers knit up quickly, make great gifts and are a fun addition to your winter wardrobe. Or wear a sparkly pair with a plain black top and you will be dressed for a night on the town.

From the materials list, it is beading without stringing all the beads first by using a tool. Now THAT I can get into. It also makes a little gifty item – probably for my nephew’s wife in California.

Sunday Techniques and Tips

Class Title: Switch to Continental Style Knitting
Teacher: Leslye Solomon
Description: It doesn’t matter how old you were when you learned to knit, Leslye will help you quickly and easily change your style to knit a more even fabric. Begin to fly through and love ribbing and seed stitch, and finally stop knitting too tight or loose. Aches and pains caused by your present method might be greatly reduced. Enjoy renewed knitting confidence.

I have a little trouble with my right hand dexterity so I’m really looking forward to this one. I tried it on vacation while doing some FairIsle and just wasn't sure where to put all those fingers. It was sloooow going but satisfying. I hope I’m not too beat after four days to get the hang of this one.

I had back up classes chosen for each time slot, and would have been equally happy with any of my alternates. I decided to not take any of the all day classes. Last year I did that two days in a row and nearly killed myself. Of course, I was a fairly new knitter and knit and purl was the extent of my arsenal of stitches. Still, by taking only half days and spreading the classes out over the whole run of the show, I'll have more time to shop and perhaps see some of the other exhibits. Last time I had to knit my project through lunch in miniature and re-knit it later. I was fuzzy headed and bushed! This way I can choose to go in early - or not. Stay late - or not. What a smart knitter I am.


I hope.

2 comments:

Large Marge said...

Holy Cow - you're planning on the marathon! Can't wait to see you knitting socks. Told you we'd bring you to the other side!

Bonnie said...

Hmmmm . . . don't you mean The Dark Side?