Wednesday, May 30

Tiny Socks!

Anybody read Mutts?


In two days I knit a little pink sock. Okay a tiny sock but a sock nonetheless.


The pattern is Tiny Socks! from Cider Moon.
Needles: 5" bam
boo dpn size 4
Yarn: Some leftover cotton I got with my "Learn To Knit" kit


I figured before tackling a full sized pair with my lovely sock yarn from Maryland Sheep and Wool some "training
socks" were in order. While searching for pair of arm warmers I spotted my starters. I used a more sturdy yarn than called for in the pattern because I've never done a sock before and wanted to see the stitch definition. Tiny Socks has all the elements of a grown-up sock except there's no pad at the toe I think. It's 6 inches long from the back of the cuff to the toe if you stretch it out. The pattern called for just drawing up the last few stitches with a needle and weaving in the end. Nah. I whipped out my Knitters Companion and did a kitchener stitch with the last eight stitches. In the directions it says "used to close the toes of socks and under the arms of sweaters knit in the round". Sheesh! I wish I had known that when I was gnashing my teeth over my Knit for Kids sweater. I know I was only doing eight stitches, but the rhythm was no worse than what I was doing I think. Very cool how the top of the toe joins the bottom. It was impossible to photograph, sorry.


There were two places I think may have been mistakes in the pattern or at least I may change for the second sock. One is a missed SL at the beginning of the first heel flap row.

---------------------->

It looked sorta wrong to me after a few more rows and I ripped it back a few rows and reknit it. When I saw it was in the pattern I thought there might be a reason and moved on.
There wasn't.



<-------------------- I'm also not thrilled with how the weird triangle area at the heel looks. Only four stitches are picked up on the side of the heel. It's kinda holey. But c'mon we're talking 22 total stitches cast-on. The thing is, I did all the elements without a hitch barring my own decision to check out the hiccup with the slipped stitch.


On to sock two.

2 comments:

Large Marge said...

You rock!
I would never have made something so small for my first sock!
Can't wait to see it in person.
btw - fixed the link.

Nittany Knits said...

Congrats! I'm so proud to have yet another sock knitter in our midst!