Friday, December 8

Jingle Bells

So. Last night I actually finished an object in front of witnesses. I was working on nice even stitches for the second scarf from the skein of Homespun and I was on a roll. The color is supposed to be "sandstone" but it has flecks of blue in it, very handsome stuff. Kevin is a real macho kinda guy. Binding off looked hopeful, but I know how I am about knitting and talking and paying attention. I settled into one of the comfy chairs and tried to get ahead before too many knitters came pouring in. Sheila came and it was just the two of us for a good while. She showed me her nifty portable ball winder she got at Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. [zombie voice - Must. Have. Ball. Winder.] I was doing a little self taught thing with a figure eight. It turns into a ball with a center pull. However, for a lot of tangled yarn or miles of frogging like she did last night, this little stick thing was freaking amazing. Besides, I do like a gadget now and then. Hmmmmm . . . maybe Dad could make me one. I don't know if he has the wood turning capabilities, but if he can make a dowel with a hollow core . . .

We had our usual lovely evening and then, with much fanfare, I finished the second scarf. This is indeed an accomplishment for me. I don't just pop these things out like my Grandmother popped out babies (no disrespect meant here, but she had thirteen kids, only my Grandad to help and they only got a midwife for Uncle Carl 'cause he was breach) My labor is not painful, just obnoxiously long to produce one perfect . . . thing. But just like the first scarf from this skein, there is some color variation in one area. It looks like a shadow, or some coffee spilled on it. In this picture, the cast on end is on the left and cast off on the right. I figure it gives it character and uniqueness. Something to be studied and admired. Certainly people will say:

How did she get the yarn to DO that?
and Doesn't the light do nice things with that yarn?
and His Aunt must really love him to make such a fascinating piece.






I put it in a box.

No comments: