Friday, December 22

Quick, before I wrap 'em

I finally did take a picture of my finished coasters for Mr Mike. Here they are with the cute tea pot I got with my Birthday money from Dad. Bobby gave me a nice Chinese style cup to go with it from the international market. A fine tableau if I do say so myself. I gave them to him last night and he seemed pleased - yet rather embarrassed by the attention. I had added two coasters from another knitter who needed a box and made sure he knew that. Holly Anne brought in several from others in the group. He opened it in private and thanked me later.

Why hasn't anyone told me how hard it is to part with the stuff I make? I've been knitting all these gifts and gosh darn it, I want to keep 'em around for awhile and admire them. You know, pat myself on my widdle back. It's not that they're so fantastic or intricate, but I'm not a fast knitter. I sweat over these things.( okay, wipe that from your visual banks right now) I've been such a casual knitter until the last six weeks or so and have turned out so much nice stuff, I want someone to notice. Well, besides my husband who thinks I'm amazing and sings "My wife can knit a thing" and makes me grin every night. Oh, and my "support group" on Thursday nights at K1P2. They've only seen me knit straight stockinette or garter (due to the the distraction factor) and seem truly impressed with what I can accomplish at home now. Or gee, lots of people who see me carrying my projects around in their clear vinyl bags want to see what I'm working on and comment they could never do something that hard. Oh, and my cousin Laurie who promises to take a picture of her baby next Halloween in my "pumpkin hat". Hmmm . . . guess I'm not so praise deprived after all. Think of all the ooohs and ahhhs when folks open their gifts this year. I bet there will even be a few disappointed mumbles of "Where's mine?"

Better start wrapping.

2 comments:

Ilanna said...

the coasters are adorable. :) (of course after seeing you post at Mary's i had to swing by and check out our blog. :) )

I am a lazy knitter :) if it takes too much thought i generally don't bother. But i *DO* know how you feel about not wanting to give up the fruits of your labor. I still have the first blanket i made, the first one i managed to finish all by myself. It's soft and cuddly and ALLLL MINE!! :)

My latest interest is spinning. (another expensive hobby) i just got a drop spindle kit and am trying to figure it out. :)

Bonnie said...

My humble thanks for your generous appreciation of my fiber artistry. Ilanna - remember that you are not slow. Instead, you are thorough, methodical, even(dare I say) . . . willing to delay gratification.

Seriously. Small projects are most appealing and gratifying. I finished a chemo cap two days ago and it tastes mighty fine.