Friday, January 12

First FO of 2007

I made the cutest spiral top hat with the Peaches and Cream yarn.

I JUST LOVE HOW THIS TURNED OUT !

I used the free pattern from Carol at The Celtic Knot for Colleen's Cap. I'll have to take it to her soon. I believe she sends caps off to University of Maryland Medical Center's Oncology Center. I added a few rows of purling for ridges on the body. It gives it less of a point and adds grip without the usual ski-cap ribbing.

The decreases turned out this lovely nine point spiral that reminds me of peppermints and those big lollipops from Ocean City. I gotta keep this pattern. It is easy to follow and the decreases can be used for other hats if I don't like theirs. I can use fewer decreases for smaller hats by starting with multiples of 8 or 7 instead of 9. I kept track of my gauge (good knitter, have a cookie) in my little red book so I can even compare various yarns. I think I’m getting the hand of this knitting thing.

I wasn’t quite satisfied with my closure and tinked it back. That was tough. It was worth it though, ‘cause one more row of straight knitting before pulling the nine stitches together made the top perfect. I was looking at it and thinking . . . State Fair . . . yeah! I really intend on entering something this year. It is good to have a goal. Some of the prize winners I saw weren’t fancy or especially pretty, just well done.

When I washed it to take care of the pet hair issues, I blocked it on a bowl on top of the dryer. Bobby and I started looking into buying a head for me to block with and use as a model for my pictures as well. Hmmmm. If I use it for charity work is it tax deductible expense I wonder? He really gets into helping me with my knitting. We were watching something on TV the other night while I was working on this hat. I *had* to be excused and didn’t want to loose my place. I said out loud,” Knit two together on a seven row” and off I went. When I came dashing back and scooped up my needles, Bobby leaned over said,” Knit two together on a seven row”.

I love him.

You know, when I look back to my first hat about a year ago, I wince. I had no pattern and believe I just K2,K2tog and sewed some sort of monster spiderweb on the top. I hadn't a clue about dpn and was stretching the yarn on flexible needles (inventing the double loop I might add). I tied big knots to change colors and did a rotten job of weaving in my ends. It was awful but I was so proud. It was what I wanted to do. It felt good. It feels good now. Scary. Personal. Good.

For you, John.

No comments: