Friday, March 2

Spell Check

I don't often read Yarn Harlot, but someone mentioned her at knitting last night so I visited her blog today. Someone persecuted her for what they felt were spelling errors. I feel compelled to reproduce here the comment I just left on her site.

I am not a faithful reader yet for the first time feel I must comment. Poor spelling sucks. In this day of IM-speak when spell check is so readily available, I don't get it. I’m not perfect, but I went to Catholic school and can identify British (kick-Canadian) spelling. That said, I find your writing style very easy to read.
Egad! Berating someone who might (even remotely) have a problem with spelling also sucks. I use a good computer spell and grammar check to compensate for a cognitive deficit. If I choose to use a colloquialism I can do so. And, if I wish - I can ignore incorrect grammar, decide on foreign spelling, and leave in my weird dashes (or parentheses for that matter). I wanna sound like me.

Besides, Sister Carolla would haunt me if I didn't at least edit.

Oh, and thanks for the swell knitting stuff too.

For my own purposes, I left something out. My verbal skills have gone to Hellena Handbasket. I stammer to find the right words and often find myself saying something two to three minutes after a topic has changed. My brain just can't keep up. I get lost in my own sentences. It's so unlike the outspoken, brazen master of improv who belted songs with abandon to adoring fans for 13 years. People who haven't known me forever have a very different grasp of who I am. This is why I enjoy writing here. It sounds like me. Spell check and editing are my friends.

But I digress.

Went to K1P2 last night and showed off Rainbow. Geez I'm proud of it. I absolutely babbled and left it on all evening like a new mother who won't pass the baby around. In other news - I seem to have forgotten how to do the half-double crochet. :-0 I took Jessica's scarf last night, figuring back and forth, back and forth - piece 'o cake right? aaaaack! When will I learn I can only knit, knit, knit while I'm there? I ripped out 5-6 rows twice. Tonight I have to start a swatch with some junk yarn to get the stitches to match. I think I figured it out though, it involves going into just the back vs. both loops of the stitch. Ahhhh. Takes me back to remembering how to knit after I learned how to purl. Wish me luck.

No comments: